Popcorn Chicken - The Perfect Lunchbox Snack
Are you looking for a fun and delicious way to add some variety to your children's lunchboxes? Look no further than popcorn chicken! This recipe is not only tasty, but it's also nutritious and easy to prepare in bulk, making it the perfect lunchbox meal to stash in the freezer until you need it.
When added to our range of insulated food jars, they can be kept warm until lunch time too!
Here's why popcorn chicken is a great lunchbox option:
1. It's Nutritious
Our popcorn chicken recipe has been developed by nutritionists and is packed with protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats, making it a well-rounded and nutritious meal option for your children. Chicken breasts are a great source of lean protein, while the multigrain breadcrumbs and mixed seeds provide complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. This combination of nutrients will help keep your children full and energised as they explore the world around them.
2. It's Easy to Make
Quick and easy are a pre-requisite in our house. The chicken pieces are coated in a mixture of breadcrumbs and spices, then baked in the oven until golden and cooked through. You can easily prepare a large batch on the weekend, then store it in the fridge or freezer for easy lunchbox packing during the week. They also thaw really well straight from the freezer into an air fryer – be sure to check they’re cooked through.
3. It's Fun and Tasty
Kids love anything that's bite-sized and easy to eat, and popcorn chicken fits the bill perfectly. The small chicken pieces can be moulded to any size and can be paired with a variety of dipping sauces for added flavour. You can also experiment with different spices and herbs to create different flavour combinations.
Here's the recipe for popcorn chicken:
Makes | 30 Pieces Time | 10 minutes
- 30g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 500g (3 1/2 cups) chicken breasts, diced
- 75g (1 cup) multigrain breadcrumbs
- 30g (1/4 cup) mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, linseed, chia), toasted and ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Italian Spice Mix (oregano, basil, thyme, majoram)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a pan, then pour it over the diced chicken pieces so that they are coated.
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, mixed seeds, paprika, cumin, Italian spice mix, and garlic powder. Add the coated chicken pieces and mix until completely coated with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the crumbed chicken pieces evenly spaced on the baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until golden and chicken is cooked through.
- Allow the popcorn chicken to cool before packing it in your child's lunchbox.
Popcorn chicken is a versatile lunchbox meal that can be paired with a variety of sides and snacks, such as carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or fruit. It's also a great option for children who prefer finger foods or who are picky eaters, as it's a fun and tasty meal option that can be customised to their liking.
So why not give popcorn chicken a try and see how it can transform your children's lunchtime routine?